Friday, December 12, 2014

12 Handmade Days of Christmas: Day 9 Placemat to Tote


Today's tutorial is brought to you by my friend Bree. She is making these for her friends and family for Christmas. Bree hates to sew so her mom Brenda is walking her through the steps for each bag. If Bree can sew these, than anyone can. I stole this one from Bree to showcase here. Enjoy!

Materials Needed:
  1. Placemat
  2. Thread
  3. Bias Tape or Ribbon 
  4. Velcro (Optional)
Directions:
  1. Fold the placemat lengthwise.
  2. Measure two inches down from the top. Mark a line across for the fold down flap.  
  3. Take your bias tape or ribbon and place each edge just under the fold line. Pin the edges in place. This will be your bag strap.
  4. Fold the bottom of the long rectangle upward so the bottom of the rectangle meets the flap fold down line. Pin in place. Make sure your bag strap is on the outside.
  5. With the top flap up. Sew one side seam of the tote bag body and keep sewing up to the side of the flap. Pivot. Sew across the top. Pivot. Then sew down the other side. 
  6. Your bag should have two pockets inside! 
  7. Optional: Place velcro on the inside of the flap and at the top of the tote bag body. Either sew your velcro in place or stick it on. Et, voila! Easy Placemat to Totebag!
  Sweet Reminder No. 9: "Sleep in Heavenly Peeeeaaaccceeee..." Means you too!
I don't know about you, but I am one of those "Just one more thing" people. I always find just one more thing to work on before I go to bed. It's a terrible habit and one I very much wish to break.
If you're like me and have trouble turning off the lights, then try and dial up your bedtime 10 minutes a night until you reach a normal hour. That "one more thing" can wait. Get good sleep. There will be plenty of late nights carousing and fellowship when Christmas Eve and Christmas arrive. You really won't miss out on much if you go to bed a notch earlier each night. In fact, you'll likely gain more than you miss. So in the spirit of practicing "Peace-Be-Still" this season, make sure to sleep. 
 
How do you ensure that you're sleeping in "Heavenly PEEEEAAACEEE?" Also, do you know any little kids that sing it that way?

1 comment:

  1. This looks so simple to make. Unfortunately I already have enough bags around my house and I'm not into sewing that much, something I do need to fix....BUT I do know people who like to sew and craft. I'll pass this on to them. :-)

    ReplyDelete