Monday, December 8, 2014

12 Handmade Days of Christmas: Day 7 Bow Brooch


I cannot make jewelry, but I love a good brooch. My friend Kara is a very gifted jewelry designer. I so admire her ability to work with little tiny pieces and details. This is my contribution to Christmas jewelry. With just a little sewing, the brooch takes less than 20 minutes and requires little to no fabric.

Materials Needed: 
  1. Two fabric rectangles (10x6 for mine). You can use whatever scrap fabric you have that you can reasonably cut into a rectangle.
  2. Thread
  3. A strip of fabric for the bow center (3x2 inches for mine). Again, you can use whatever scrap fabric you have that you can reasonable cut into a thin rectangular strip.   
  4. Brooch or pin backing. These are sold at fabric stores, usually in the jewelry section of your Joanns or Michael's. Alternatively, use a big safety pin.
Directions:
  1. Cut your fabric rectangles. You will need two rectangles for the main bow.
  2. Place your fabric rectangles rightsides together. 
  3. Sew the seams leaving an opening for turning the rectangle rightsides out.
  4. Trim and cut the corners. Turn the rectangles rightsides out.
  5. For the bow center there are three alternatives for completion:
  • First, You can use thread and wrap it around the center of the bow multiple times. Tie it each time you loop it around. Make sure the thread is tied nice and tight. Cut the loose ends. Fluff the bow.
  • Second, You can do what I did, and use a thin strip of jersey fabric. Wrap it around the bow center multiple time. Tie it each time you loop it around. Make sure the jersey strip is tied nice and tight. Cut the loose ends. Fluff the bow.
  • Third, you cut two thin rectangle strips. Put them rightsides together. Sew but remember to leave an opening. Turn them right side out. Place around the middle of the bow and sew the ends together. Clip the edges. Flip the raw seam edges to the inside. 
 Last, sew the pin or brooch backing to your bow. Et, voila! Bow brooch gift! 

Sweet Reminder No.7: Choose Joy!
I know that sounds cliche, but bear with me. You can choose gifts, but you cannot force people to like the gifts. You can choose the perfect menu on pinterest, but you cannot force people to like the food you prepare. You can choose the best decorations that your money can buy, but you cannot force people into like your idea of pretty decor.You have no control over the many many situations, circumstances, and people you face everyday. There is no difference merely because it is Christmas.

I can create a million different things, but I cannot force anyone  to enjoy my creations. I only have control over whether I enjoy my Christmas. I only have control over whether I enjoy my own creations. I control my response to my pinterest failures and my recipe disasters. I choose joy. I could choose frustration, self-pity, worry, anxiety, and stress. I am opting out of those this year. Again, I choose joy! What are you choosing this Christmas?

If you need help with the instructions, please let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment