Wednesday, November 12, 2014

12 Handmade Days of Christmas: Day 5 Handwarmers


Are you still with me? It is Day Five of the 12 Handmade Days of Christmas! Today's tutorial was inspired my husband's family. They are chronically cold and have been rumored to fall asleep with the blow dryer on under the covers. Como se dice, Firehazard?!

This tutorial is simple, but takes some finesse with filling the pockets with rice. I am notorious for splitting bags of cereal, rice, potato flakes, etc... wide open and getting stuff everywhere. I called in the Pookie for help on this one. 

Materials Needed:
1. 5x5 Squares. I used five in different shades and prints of blue.
2. Pinking Shares
3. One pound bag of rice
4. Thread
5. Funnel or Piece of Paper

Step by Step Directions:
1. Layer two of the 5x5 squares on top of each other. Wrong sides together.

2. Mark a 4x4 square within the 5x5 square. 

3. Sew on the 4x4 square line leaving an opening to pour rice into.

4. Create a funnel out of a piece of paper. (Use a funnel if you have one.)

5. Pour the rice in. I filled mine 3/4 of the way.

6. Put the 5x5 square back under the sewing needle. Sew the opening closed carefully. Some rice might spill out, but that's okay.

7. Take the pinking shears and trim the edges all the way around.

Sweet Reminder No.5: Christmas doesn't have to be perfect!
I'm looking at the sachets and I can see all of the lint from the pinking shear scraps all over the sachets. MY PHOTOGRAPH IS NOT PERFECT, but that doesn't take away from all of the love and the joy put into each and everyone of these sachets! 

Every cookie, pie, craft, meal, etc... will not be perfect. A crust will crumble, cookies will burn, a craft will turn into an epic pinterest fail. Stop and laugh at yourself. Christmas doesn't have to be perfect. After all, think of the baby in the stinky manger. Certainly not the perfect place to go into labor. Relax. The day will come and go whether your creations are perfect or not.

If you need help with the tutorial, feel free to comment in the section below. What are projects are you working on?

To See More Projects in the Series, check out other projects in the 12 Handmade Days of Christmas Series.
Partying at: ShineBlogHop#25, LivelaughRowe

6 comments:

  1. These are darling! What a gift you have! :) I wish I could be more of a sewer. Looks like these would be great stocking stuffers!
    Stopping by from The Peony Project. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These would actually be easy to sew by hand. It would take a little more time, but quite easy to achieve with the right needle. I wasn't much of a sewer when I first started. My first blouse accidentally had a pin sewn into the hem and it would poke me whenever I forgot about it! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. My fingers are always freezing when it's cold, so this is a great idea! I probably wouldn't use them a whole lot here in Florida, but we do get a couple cold days a year, plus I'm going to Nashville next week and it might snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in Southern California near the desert. It doesn't get very cold here either, but my husband always has freezing cold feet despite the warm temperatures. I have friends who use these for menstrual cramps. I have a fear that my hot water bottle my pop in my sleep so these are a good alternative. Have fun in Nashville! I hear it is an awesome city with lots to see!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful idea! Shared via Twitter. Great to meet you! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the Twitter love! Great to meet you too!

      Delete